Monday, June 30, 2008

Cool Morning Walks, Literally

For the past two mornings, I have awoken in Niwot. I have watered potted plants and let Spike out for his early morning roam around the yard; then I have gone for my walks. Walking out and around Niwot is very different from walking in Boulder - the scenery is much more bucolic, and the number of different critters and birds and insects is much higher. Yesterday i thought it was just my imagination that I felt chilly while out walking - it turns out it was 47 degrees, and, as usual, I was walking in sneakers, shorts and a T-shirt. It was 54 this morning, but felt warmer.

Walking around Niwot I have seen prairie dogs, fox, cottontail rabbits, cats and dogs, horses, cattle, goats, sheep, llamas, and a black bear. I've seen meadowlarks, bluebirds, red-winged blackbirds, blue jays, gray jays, and several smaller birds that I'll have to look up in my bird guide. (Eastern birds I know, pretty much - western birds, I'm learning.)

Spike has been in fine fettle - he patrols the fence-line several times each morning and evening. We spent last night curled up togteher and watching Jimmy Stewart in Harvey - one of my favorite movies. Maybe I'll end up like Elwood P. Dowd and be adopted by a pooka, too!

No comments: