Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Cool Summer Night's Walk

I spent 2 and 1/2 hours with DeJa yesterday - I read aloud to him, whether he can hear me or not - I do that with all the critters I stay with. Yesterday evening the reading material was "St. Peter's Fair", the 4th Brother Cadfael mystery by Ellis Peters (aka Edith Pargeter). I took DeJa out twice to go potty, which he did, and I left just before his owner was due home from work.

Standing at the bus stop last night I found that I am no longer a tasty treat for the local mosquitoes - they usually swarm me, which they did last night, but not one lit on me, and I had no bites when I arrived home (I had forgotten my insect repellant, as well). Since the skeeters weren't biting, and the northwesterly breeze was pleasant, I ended up walking home. Until almost 10 p.m. the Rockies were silhouetted against the afterglow of the sunset, and cloud banks formed dark bars marching across the lighter night sky. It was an enjoyable walk.

I made my 5-mile walk this morning, returning home to find Lovey full of talk, and Banichi curled up in his night nest. I fed them, took out the trash and recyclables, and then opened the patio door for them to go out and play. Lovey has been running back in here about every ten minutes and talking to me - Banichi is sprawled in the shady grass and is earnestly studying butterflies.

The raccoons visited around midnight last night/this morning; the squirrels are finding food elsewhere. The sparrows and finches and chickadees and nuthatches are still about and enjoying the bounty of the bird feeders... All is well in Boulder.

No comments: