Friday, June 27, 2008

Fox Kits are Thieves in North Boulder

A cold front was due from Wyoming during the night, but hasn't yet arrived. Today is warm, cloudless and with a slight breeze from the north. Hopefully we'll get rain this afternoon; there are 2 wildfires burning already this morning in the state, and the grass, pasture and crops can use the moisture. Walked my 5 miles this morning, and drank two bottles of water while doing so. No, I don't normally buy bottled water - I drink from the tap, but I always carry water when I go out walking or hiking. It was warm even before dawn, and the birds had started singing at 4:30, so I just got up and went out. Birds, squirrels, raccoons, and fox were my walking companions this morning...

I spent a few hours with DeJa yesterday evening, and am heading back to his house for a few hours today. Tomorrow afternoon I begin a 4-night, 4-day care session with the Spike Meister in Niwot. My kits won't be happy when I return home each day with Spike's scent all over me, but they're used to it - and they know that they are my babies.

There was a column in the local paper saying that a bunch of fox kits are into mischief - they are stealing single shoes, gardening gloves, etc. from the porches of folks in north Boulder and leaving them in a wide variety of places. The neighbors have gotten together and designated a single pick-up spot for "found" items - at last count, there was one pair of matched shoes, 17 single shoes, 8 single gloves and 5 bandannas. - Those kits have been busy!

No comments: