Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears?

When I'm staying at a clients' house, I try to leave no trace of myself - other than the letter detailing my interactions with my charge(s). I always let the people know how the critter reacted to things and whether or not there was a change in appetite or the daily routine.

I take care of all types of pets - fish in aquariums; all sorts of dogs; all sorts of cats; frogs; bees; tortoises; chickens and roosters; horses; goats; cattle; sheep; llamas and alpacas - the only thing I haven't been asked to care for so far are snakes and circus or zoo animals. I also take in mail and newspapers; drop payments into the mail; tend indoor plants; take care of outdoor gardens - watering, weeding and harvesting; and for people on irrigation ditches, I even do irrigation watering. I sleep at the critter's home, usually in a specifically designated bed so the critter(s) have someone to sleep with. And I follow the family's usual schedule/routine of exercise and feeding as closely as possible.

I usually have scratches on my arms and legs - between the critters and walking and hiking I usually do a number on myself. I just make sure that I clean everything well and irrigate it and check for signs of infection - just like I do for my clients.

The worst thing that has happened in 3+ years of pet-sitting is a puppy with diarrhea... so I've been extremely lucky. Happy pet-loving!!!

No comments: