Saturday, July 12, 2008

Coyote Serenades & Midnight Trains

Since I'm house-sitting in a subdivision, I keep forgetting that the open country begins about an eighth of a mile away - open country being farms, pastures and protected open space. I had just closed the book I was reading in bed, when I heard a freight train whistle - I looked at the clock and it was midnight; then there followed a sound I had forgotten - the song of a pack of coyotes. Lucy sat up on the bed beside me, but stayed quiet; Pepper was sleeeping in his crate in the laundry room, and didn't make a peep.

The coyotes sang for about 15 minutes - and intertwined their melodies with two other train whistles that were at a greater distance. When I first rented my own place here in Colorado, I was at Stone Mountain Lodge to the northwest of Lyons, and heard the coyotes sing every night. I had forgotten how much I enjoy hearing their melodies.

It's much cooler today - our high is guesstimated at 79 - yesterday afternoon, the thermometer by the backyard birdbath read 102.3 degrees when I walked back from the bus. I woke up this morning to a jay screaming ata squirrel, and the squirrel was chattering right back at the jay. I've already taken Lucy and Pepper for an hour-long walk, and am about to head into Boulder to see Lovey and Banichi. - Have a great weekend!

No comments: