Friday, August 1, 2008

Hot August; Pony Swim & Auction News

Today is our 19th day in a row with a high of 90 degrees or above. Driving to the apartment from the east (I do like that Prius!), I could see that Long's Peak no longer has any snow cover; a few of the highest of the Indian Peaks still have snow on their shoulders, but it's steadily growing less each day. We are expecting highs in the low 100s today and tomorrow, with about 7 to 10 % humidity - that just sucks the water out of you.

The Pony Swim went well on Wednesday; they swam about 150 head across the channel this year. And, like last year, they sold 75 ponies on Thursday. The big difference was in the bidding - apparently the economy is hitting even those folks who want Chincoteague ponies. This year, the firemen raised $104,625.00 for the 75 ponies - and that is down $73,000.00 from last year's auction. The highest priced foal this year went for $9,500.00, while last year's highest price was $17,500.00. I remember when you could purchase the ponies for $25 apiece, and sometimes the Fire Department couldn't sell all the foals they offered - people just didn't want them. The swim back to Assateague is happening this morning - probably at about this time... that's fun to watch too, with less than half of the usual crowd (35,000+ this year).

My kits are excited to see me when I arrive home for a few hours these days. I'll be back for almost a week at home before I head off again - then I'll be in North Boulder with Hila, the chickens and the organic gardens again. They are a fun and relaxing group to deal with - Hila is very laid back, the chickens and rooster are quite tame, and the produce from the gardens is absolutely fantastic! Looks like I'm scheduled to be home for 13 nights this month - and that makes me a whole lot happier than the 6 nights I was home in July!

Kolhbi, Suki's grandson and the Sammie I'm sitting for, is even more hyper-active than his aunt Boo - which I didn't think was possible. Nikki, the German shorthair pointer, is a complete and total love - it's too bad that Kohlbi sucks on her ears all the time - it makes petting and loving her a very gooey effort. Abby has been a big love, too, sleeping on or beside me any chance she gets; Shadow is feeling much better than he was the last time I had him - he's charging up the stairs at a dead run and then climbing the door jamb of the laundry room up above my head. Boris and Natasha are interesting - Boris is extremely extroverted, takes whatever he thinks should be his, chases the dogs, and lets Kohlbi use him as a pillow. Boris is also a very long-bodied cat; he looks like he has about four extra inches of spine. Natasha is also long, but she is very petite otherwise - and the the zeta of the group - everyone bullies her. She is very loving and willing to be held at any time - but the other cats get jealous.... Ah, me....

No comments: