Friday, August 22, 2008

Pets and Party Plans

Yesterday was hot. Got up to 94 with 12% humidity - but at least we're not flooding from Tropical Storm Fay, like a good part of Florida. But since we got about 3 inches of rain this past weekend, the grass and gardens are not yet suffering. We're expecting another cold front through this afternoon, with highs today and tomorrow in the low 80s.

Banichi is currently in my lap, kneading my leg and giving little love bites to my arm. Lovey is curled up under my chair and keeps burbling at me. Hila and I had a quiet night - except around midnight, when the skunk visited the patio and looked into the bedroom's French doors (then Hila had to growl and bark to protect me and the premises). A couple of the chickens are beginning to moult and look rather bedraggled. I was amazed this morning to see how they had eaten a small hole into the apple skin and the eaten the entire interior, while leaving 95% of the skin intact.

Plans are growing apace for the Githen's Acres block-party, where my sister lives. I was put in charge of researching permits, etc. - and I really had to laugh; Kathy asked me to do this on the night of Friday, August 15th. The date of the party is to be Saturday, August 30th. She wanted a road closure permit, a parade permit, a band permit, and an open fire permit - and the first thing I saw on the county's website was that these had to be applied for 60 days prior to the event, that each permit application would cost $50, and that county insurance coverage to the tune of $500 was also needed. I read everything and printed it all out, and then I called the county office to ask my questions. I was put into contact with a lady who handles block parties, and was told that none of the permits nor the insurance applied to what will happen August 30th. That made me very happy.
The party is scheduled from noon until midnight; the official reason is the permanent barricade at Garnet & Riverside, to keep 700+ cars per day from driving the the neighborhood as a shortcut to 3 local schools. Since the temporary barricade went up, traffic is down to less than 70 vehicles per day, which is what the residents want. The Fire Marshal and County Commissioners will be there to celebrate with a ribbon cutting ceremony. A fire truck will be parked in Kathy & Jim's yard, for children to climb on and explore. The parade will include the fire truck, the BHS Marching Band, the BHS Jazz Band, clowns and local residents on decorated bikes and riding mowers, as well as several dance troupes.
Who's invited? Everybody. Everyone who lives within a two block radius of Githen's Acres, Ball Aerospace employees, Sunflower Farmer's Market employees, Credit Union friends and contacts, Silver Lake Irrigation Ditch families, my pet-sitting clients, and various and sundry friends, including the work crew who is building the permanent traffic barrier and the construction crew on a local "monster" house. (The construction crew has been there for months - and they are not responsible for the poor taste of the owner.)
Other than the dedication ceremony and the parade around the neighborhood loop (during which I get to block one of the roads and give information), the rest of the event will take place at Kathy and Jim's house. From noon until 4 pm, it's the Great American Barbeque & Backyard Picnic (with appropriate games and music); from 4 to 6 pm, it's an English Tea Party (with croquet, badminton, and music); from 6 until 10pm, it's Classic rock, jazz, and an open mike; and from 10 pm until midnight, it's acoustic guitar and singing around the campfire (firepit) while toasting marshmallows. The Fire Department will ceremoniously douse the fire at midnight and ask folks to return to their homes, or open their sleeping bags and spend the night. - Oh, My God! - (I plan on being home well before then!)

I understand that some of you are unable to view the photos from Webshots that I've put up on the blog the last few days. I will contact Webshots again and see what we can do about it. Thanks for being patient with me while I learn how to do all these new things...

No comments: