Sunday, September 28, 2008

Curlin makes history

Let's see... I've fed and walked the dogs around Wonderland Lake; I've fed Ooch and cleaned his litter box. I've had my meds, breakfast, and have looked at the Sunday newspaper; and watched 30 minutes of local news on the telly. I have to finish writing my report (covering this morning) for Ooch, and update the report for Suki and Boo; then I can go home to my kits and take care of them; and pack to go out the the Brighton gang's house. I hope to be able to fit a visit to the library in there somewhere - of course, I could indulge in an old favorite for a few days, too.

Curlin raced his way into the annals of thoroughbred history yesterday by winning the Jockey Club Gold Cup Stakes at Belmont Park. It was a sloppy track and Curlin won by 3/4 length over Wanderin Boy - but Curlin was under a casual hand ride, while his opponent was under a vigorous ride and the whip. Curlin made history because he is the first horse to win over $10 million in his racing career; the previous high-earning mark belonged to Cigar, who retired with $9,999,000+ in his bank account. Curlin, a beautiful leggy chestnut with a small strip, is now being prepared for a much-anticipated face-off with Big Brown in the $5 million Breeder's Cup Classic in October. And if Curlin wins, it will take another superior horse to beat his money-winning record. (Curlin has won 11 of 15 races in his career.)

Don't want to talk about college football... 4 of my 7 teams lost, either by one point or by a landslide. It was embarrassing. At least the Hokies won on national TV last night - I guess that makes things OK. A lot of people were shaken by Virginia Tech beating the Nebraska Cornhuskers at home....

Well, I need to take some photos with my new camera - I've still only taken two. I tried to capture the image of RedBoa taking a peanut from the pile within an inch of Banichi's nose yesterday, but before I could get it, the squirrel took off (with the nut). Maybe I should just spend a few hours playing with the little sucker.... My biggest problem, I find, is that I want to pull the camera all the way up to my face and look through a view-finder - instead of holding it away from my face and looking at the LED screen.... It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks....

No comments: