Friday, September 26, 2008

Reading myself to Sleep

Last night, I read myself to sleep - not with my usual history, science fiction or mystery book, but with the 140 page 2008 State Ballot Information Booklet for the state of Colorado. Besides the Presidential election on November 4, the folks in Colorado are also voting on Congressional members, State Legislature members, retention of Judges, and 14 Amendments and 4 Referendums to the state constitution and state statutes. This is really a lot of information to digest - and the TV ads each call the opposing point of view a lie... This guide explains, in plain American English, what each amendment and referendum means; it provides concise points both for and against each item; and it also lists an estimated fiscal impact upon the state. It then shows the amendments and referendums in their full government legalese - how they will appear in the state's constitution if they are approved. And, finally, the booklet shows how other members of the judiciary feel about retaining or un-seating currently sitting judges across the state. I feel as if I'm cramming for an exam in college! - It's 140 pages without any reference to any person running for an elected office - Whew!!!!

I actually wore jeans and a long-sleeved T to go walking this morning - there was a very chilly wind from the north that did not cease blowing until after 8:30. Kathy and Jim are headed up to Durango and Silverton for the weekend - the narrow gauge steam-engine railroad has it's annual photographic trip this weekend, including a night shoot up in the mountains. Jim is really excited about this trip and the photo opportunities it will present.

I'll be heading off shortly to spend time with Ooch and get over to Suki and Boo's; there is a chance of thunderstorms today and for the next three days in the afternoon, and Suki and Boo get outrageously filthy in the rain, so I'll try to be at their house each afternoon. I'll have to check the TV listings to see when and where, or if, any of my college teams are on TV tomorrow. The CU Buffs are playing the FSU Seminoles in Florida; the Gators host Ole Miss; and South Carolina hosts UAB. Since the number-one ranked team lost last night to an un-ranked team, there might be a nice shake-up in national standings..... we'll see.

Banichi is stretched out across the foot of my bed. Lovey is basking in the sun in my reading chair. The patio door is still wide open, so I guess I'll be getting up and closing it as soon as I finish this blog. I need to buy more peanuts and no-waste bird seed - but there is plenty for today and tomorrow. The birds visit, but are not flocking here; and right now, there are only the two squirrels that are frequenting the peanut chair. Two raccoons visited at eleven last night; Lovey and Banichi went to the glass door and hissed and spat and attacked the door - so they did their duty in protecting their home and me. They are wonderful cats!!

No comments: