Sunday, September 21, 2008

Three Chickadee-dee-dees

Yesterday was as exhausting as I thought it would be... helping set up the yard sale, staying from 7 until 3, and packing most things back up and putting them away. Kathy left for work at 10:30, and Jim returned from his run and office work at 11:45, at which time Sarah left. Only sold one "big" item - a wood table. Most of the rest that was sold was little odds and ends and books. Jim brought me home after we had put away 90% of the leftover stuff...

Got home, turned on the Gator game and found we were ahead 20 to 0; gave the kits a treat and then I let them out. About 15 minutes later I heard a thump and the screaming of a terrified bird. I popped out onto the patio to see Lovey, hanging by her front toes from the sunflower feeder, with a still screaming chickadee in her mouth. I went to her and unhooked her from the feeder, hoping she'd let the bird go. - No such luck. - Then two other chickadees flew in for a rescue mission; by that time I was carrying Lovey and her prey into the apartment, and the other two birds followed us inside, dive-bombing Lovey and me the whole time. I was able to shift Lovey and gently open her jaws, even though she growled at me - the bird flew out of her mouth and landed on the top of the curtain rail. It was joined there by it's two defenders, and then Banichi joined the fray - trying to climb the curtains to get to the birds, while Lovey was trying to launch herself from my shoulder.... After a few minutes of me trying to shoo the birds out the patio door, and trying to run interference on both kits, all three chickadees flew out the door and away. Whew! - I watched the rest of the Gator game and then collapsed in bed, sleeping for 14 hours. Does that make me a slug-a-bed?

No comments: