Saturday, October 18, 2008

Gimpy again

Since there is a home CU football game today, the first thing I did after feeding the kits was sweep and clean up the patio. There were plenty of sunflower seeds in the house feeder, and the no waste feeder was 3/4 full, but, of course, there were no peanuts left. I stepped inside the house, grabbed the nuts, and stepped back out to find Gimpy waiting in the chair for me. I poured out the remainder of the peanuts right in front of him, and came back inside. Gimpy sat down to stuff himself.

This is also "Family Weekend" at CU, and while waiting in line at Safeway with my fresh bagel and kitty treats, a couple in front of me purchased over $1100 of non-perishables to stock up their child's pantry; in the line next to me, a couple bought $687.+ of groceries for their son. My total? $2.17. The kits are running in and out this morning - the backyard will become a parking lot for the game (against Kansas State) around 1 this afternoon - so they'll be inside for most of the day. Kickoff is at 5, and it's being broadcast on FSN. I'll watch them for the first hour and then have to flip back and forth between South Carolina on ESPN, Virginia Tech on ESPN2, and the CU game.

While reading through the Monongalia County (Virginia) 1850 Census, I was struck by the name of a child - a 2-year-old boy named Amphenemus Smith. His father was named Samuel, his mother was named Sarah, his siblings were Stephen, Mary, Martha, John, etc. Where did the name Amphenemus come from? Of course, I really can't say anything - one of my grandmother's first cousins was named Eight-One Mobley....

No comments: