Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Reprieve....

Somehow, I punched the wrong button and published the photo of a Mustang stallion watching over his herd in Nevada without typing anything else in a few minutes ago.... Oh, well... The wild horses and burros have received a 12 -month reprieve due to an out-pouring of letters about saving the symbol of the American West. The following is from an AP article:
" ...Deputy Director Henri Bisson said maintaining the wild horse and burro program for another year will give horse advocates, the BLM, Congress, ranchers and wildlife advocates time to explore possible solutions and let "cooler heads prevail."
"Let's focus on doing something positive before we have to look at last resort tools," Bisson said. "We're not making any decisions today. We're not making any decisions next week." ... "
I, personally, I very happy and also somewhat surprised by this show of common sense from the BLM directorship!

This morning's walk was quiet and contemplative - the changing of the seasons has brought home to me, once again, the idea and acceptance of the circle of life and death. I always get upset about death in the fall, having lost my parents and husband in September and November - and, usually, by Thanksgiving, I've regained my usual outlook on life and realize there are rhythms and patterns occurring that I have no control over (and that I would not want control over!)

The kits are outside sunning this morning - why, I don't know, as we are expecting a record high of 77 degrees today. But I guess their systems tell them to store up warmth for the on-coming winter and to enjoy nice days while they can. Before sunning, they were both hunting pigeons in the backyard and playing tag, a version that involves a great dealing of leaping and airborne acrobatics. I'm happy that they're getting back to normal and have realized that I'm getting better, myself. I am working on a branch of Kevin's family tree that is very distracting - Ignatius Pigman Ward was an extremely prolific man, whose children all followed his procreative patterns - this is creating a huge branch (so large that I'm tempted to partially lop it off - but I won't).

No comments: