Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

I've been over and seen Ooch today - it was very cloudy the morning, but great patches of blue are now visible and the sun is shining. Snow has fallen in the high passes and out on the eastern plains, but has missed us. Ooch was his usual self - talkative, loving, not too fond of being groomed and having his nails clipped - and hungry. He had consumed a good amount of his dry food, as well as water, milk, and his canned food that I feed to him slowly. He's definitely put on weight and went out to explore the front yard this morning.

My kits are fine - Lovey pitched a fit last night at 8:45 and wasn't satisfied until I opened the patio door; it was 28 degrees at that time, and she and Banichi ran in and out for 30 minutes before I shut the door and told them,"No more tonight!" Then they both curled up in my lap while I was doing research on the 'puter.

I was very happy to hear Barack Obama say that he hopes to adopt a puppy from a shelter or humane society for his daughters. Of course, breeders are now putting forth their dogs as the best type - the 5 most hypo-allergenic dogs (according to the AKC) are the Bichon Frise, the Chinese Crested, the Miniature Schnauzer, the Poodle, and the Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier. The country of Peru has also offered a 4-month-old Peruvian Hairless dog - a type that has appeared on Andean pottery for over 3,000 years. "Machu Picchu" is grey-skinned and has huge ears, and seems a very happy young dog.
Speaking of adoptions, if you live in the Denver area and can open your heart and home, the Denver Dumb Friends Society has 650 adult cats up for adoption. The adoption fee is only $10 and includes a free micro-chipping for ID; of course, all the cats have been thoroughly vetted, are spayed or neutered and all are current on their shots. If you can, please help.

Today is Veteran's Day here in the US. In researching my family tree, I've found people who served in all aspects of this country's defense, as well as those who have partaken in Civil Wars in both England and America. I am extremely honored to be related to such men and women, who have fought for and, in some cases, died for their beliefs. My heart-felt thanks go to any and every person who has served his or her country!

No comments: