Monday, December 15, 2008

4 degrees is COLD!

I just got back inside from trudging to the grocery store... not for me, or the kits, but for the outdoors critters. After refilling everything this morning, I was out of seed, sunflowers and nuts. It was 4 degrees outside - and we had a breeze at 10 mph - I have no idea of the wind chill, but, take my word for it, it was cold! (Maybe, hope, hope, we will hit 25 tomorrow!) When I realized I had no more stashes of critter food, I decided to walk to the store this afternoon, in sunshine, rather than tomorrow morning when it's supposed to be below 0 again.

The kits are acting crazed - they have so much energy, but decline to go run outdoors - it's just too cold! They have better sense than I do, I guess. They are howling and growling and taking turns chasing each other, all fuzzed up, and banging against the hallway door. One neighbor has come over to see if I was OK - and it's hard to explain that all the banging and knocking is coming from two crazy kits....

I'm sitting here at my desk with my stockinged feet propped up on the radiator - at least my feet are warm! There is a small amount of nuts left outside, but the small birds have totally demolished the sunflower seeds and the no-waste seed blend. There have been a multitude of pigeons visiting, also, grabbing the seeds the smaller birds spill. It is beautiful outside - solid bright blue sky, a white carpet of snow everywhere - but there has been little foot- or vehicular traffic seen or heard out there.

No comments: