Friday, December 5, 2008

Furnace Problems while Pet-Sitting

I never could get the furnace to turn on yesterday - don't know if it's the furnace or the old thermostat... The thermostat (and I think the furnace, too) is the one that the house was built with about 60+ years ago. The outer ring of the round thermostat is broken off, and one can see the mercury switch inside quite easily.... Anyway, I e-mailed Amazonia Expeditions and received an replay that said "Dear Betty, Please call for repair." This, of course, is the first really big cold snap and snowfall of the season - I was lucky to get one of the old Boulder family businesses that is available to come out and see what's wrong today - most places had waits up until Tuesday. Meyers Heating is supposed to be here around 11 a.m. - if they're on time, I hope to get in a visit to my apartment this afternoon. It was 8 degrees this morning when I got up and fed the girls - the TV said the wind chill was -12....

I've kept the house warm with a small space heater from my apartment, a small space heater from the house, and the oven is set at 400, with the door cracked open; and the faucets in the bathrooms and kitchen are still dripping water, so I don't think the pipes froze. - Luckily the oven is at my chest height, or the dogs would probably want to stick their noses in it. - Boo is in season and is driving her mom, Suki, crazy. Jim was going to have Boo spayed after her last try at motherhood, but didn't get around to it. So Boo has decided she has to be the dominant dog, and is constantly mounting Suki. Suki has gotten extremely snappy, and comes to me for protection. And, of course, Boo can't figure out why her Momma is snapping at her....

I got both of my soldier's Christmas packages sent off to him - mailed one yesterday and the first the day before that. The USPS says that Matt should receive them before Christmas - I hope so. I want to get home to my kits, and love and feed them; and I know the bird feeders need to be re-filled and the squirrels will be looking for their usual handout of nuts... but I've got to be here at the house for a confirmation call from Meyers, and be here for their visit - especially since the furnace is, I believe, located under the house, and the only access is through the Samoyed's kennel on the west side of the house...
And, unless you're an Alabama alumni, please cheer for the Gators tomorrow in the SEC Championship game! I'll be watching and yelling, you can be sure!

No comments: