Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ken Salazar

Lovey and Banichi are sunning themselves on the patio, which is keeping the birds away from the feeders. But the kits need their vitamin A and D, also, so I can't complain. It's a bright 17 degrees out - and I wore my YakTrax out walking; snow had melted yesterday in the sun, and then refrozen last night, so I was happy to have them on. Foxie didn't visit last night, or least left no discernible prints on the patio... And I broke with my instructions, and removed my cast so I could shower in comfort this morning. There was so much dry skin on my hand and arm that it was quite disgusting!

I'll be visiting Lucy and Pepper a day earlier than originally planned - arriving Friday evening, instead of Saturday morning. And I've been invited to a Winter Solstice party on Sunday - my appearance will depend on transport from Kathy and Jim - so I don't know if I'll go or not (Jim said they had several places to go to on Sunday)...

We're expecting snow flurries this afternoon; I see Nancy, my therapist, at 11 a.m.; then I'll grab a bite for lunch and spend some time at the library - if I go there, I can use their Ancestry.com connection for the 1850 Census - if I use HeritageQuest at home, there is no index for 1850, and I'd have to read through each and every list. And I've read two of my four new books, so I need to pick out a few more to read...

At the moment, I'm happy with Obama's proposed appointment of Kenneth Lee Salazar to head the Department of the Interior... Ken's ancestors first moved into New Mexico about 400 years ago, and they have gradually drifted from Santa Fe up to southeast Colorado. He has served as an environmentally-friendly and wildlife-friendly lawyer, and as the Attorney General of Colorado. He is a fourth generation rancher in Colorado, and knows the wants and needs of farmers, ranchers, and environmentalists. He and his brother, John, have worked to keep Colorado on an even keel, working with everyone's interests in sight. I hope he is confirmed; and I hope he'll continue his exemplary balancing act regarding everyone's interests! (I met both brothers at an open meeting in Boulder about 6 months ago - and they actually listened to me. - Of course, after I left, they probably both shook their heads and said, "An animal crazy.")

No comments: