Monday, December 15, 2008

We broke the Record for Low Temp!

Hello, folks! It was -18 degrees here last night... that broke the record set in 1901, which was -14. I did add another blanket onto my bed, and thankfully had two warm, furry, purring bodies with me under the covers. We had 4 inches of snow fall yesterday, and even though the sun is shining, it's still -5 outside, so the snow is not melting. We might reach 32 degrees on Friday, but the weather people are saying we'll be getting two more storms in over next weekend - I haven't seen any squirrels this morning, but large flocks of small birds have been visiting since 7 a.m. - And today I took a holiday from my 5 mile walk.

Banichi is curled up in the sun next to my new rosemary plant - a gift from Rosie and Remy's owners. Lovey is in my lap, talking away, and I just e-mailed my Texas soldier. Did you see the Iraqi reporter throw his shoes at President Bush in Baghdad? The reporter has lost a lot of family members, and was himself taken hostage and tortured for three days by anti-American factions in Iraq. Richard Engle says he wasn't surprised at the reporter's actions, but as an adamantly anti-American reporter, Engle was surprised that the reporter was allowed into the press conference with Bush.

When we went to Missouri to see cousins Sarah and Pam, both Kathy and I were intrigued by the lovely countryside - we saw numerous side-roads that we wanted to explore, but just didn't have the time to do so. That has been added to my list of things I'd like to do... Kathryn introduced me to a new (to me) author - Wilbur Smith. He has multiple books out, and the one I started with, Hungry As The Sea, has grabbed me and taken me inside the world of giant tugs and salvage ships. I'm looking forward to exploring more of his books!

Saturday, Sunday and Monday I'll be out between Boulder and Longmont taking care of Lucy and Pepper. They are wonderful little dogs and I'm really looking forward to spending time with them again. I did get a deal with the cable company - I'm getting double the channels at less cost than my usual 80 or so, and I get BBC America, Encore Westerns, and History International channels now. The Western channels shows series that I grew up with, from 5 to 8 p.m. weekdays: Maverick, The Big Valley, Bat Masterson, Cheyenne, etc.... I'm looking forward to seeing old friends again.

No comments: