Friday, January 9, 2009

Balanced Games...

Prior to last night's game, I wandered over to the local pizza joint and purchased what I call "my game pizza" - bacon, grilled chicken and Roma tomatoes... I wore sweat pants, my Gator-T, and a jacket, as the wind was quite gusty again. I had my wallet and my keys in my coat pocket - I paid for the pizza with my Visa card, put the wallet back in my pocket, and walked back home, taking my door key out just in front of the apartment door. I kept telling myself to remember that my keys and wallet were in my coat pocket in the morning... This morning, my keys are there, but my wallet is not. I've re-traced my steps, with no sign of the wallet. I won't panic until after Papa John's opens, and they tell me they don't have my wallet. Then I'll scream. Why? Because, if it is missing, it's my driver's license; RTD discount ID; RTD bus pass; library card; Safeway Club card; my Social Security card; and my Visa card. - Please, let the wallet be at Papa John's!!!!

We had a cold front roll in last night, making the morning cool and cloudy. The kits have been outside quite a bit this morning, but are both inside and watching birds and squirrels through the window and sliding door. I had a little bit of fruit that was going bad, so I put it out yesterday evening, and was delighted that the fox and raccoons had gobbled it up during the night. And while I was walking the Irish kids yesterday, we were constantly under the surveillance of a red-tailed hawk; even after the kids were at home and I was waiting at the bus top, the hawk was riding the thermals above me. How I envy its ability to fly!

I've read about a dozen reports on the Gator game last night. It seems that most fans and even the reporters were disappointed that it wasn't a hugely high-scoring game. Yes, the Sooners averaged over 54 points per game this past season; yes, the Gators averaged over 45 points per game... but games are much more than just offense! I have always felt that the defensive units are the unsung heroes of any good or great team. And I thoroughly enjoyed last night's game because I was able to see both teams' defense really work hard at doing their job! The quarterbacks and the players who make the touchdowns are praised and showered with glory - but it is the defense that keeps your opponent from scoring. I would have been very disappointed to see a final score with both teams in the 60s. That would have meant there was no defense - just scoring from the offense.... and that does not make a game. Enough of my ranting.

I need to "get with the program" and do some work (once I'm certain about the wallet) - cleaning out and defrosting the refrigerator/freezer, and doing some more genealogy research. My cousin Aleda has asked that I do some family digging for her - and I will; as well as working on the Lancaster and Devine family trees, also. And I have to finish putting Patti and Frank's family stuff together... It's really irritating that I have info on three computers; I am in the process of putting it all on one, but it takes time, as the programming is not compatible.... Ah, well.... Happy weekend, everyone!

No comments: