Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Boulder's 150th Birthday

We've got a high wind watch throughout today - it will be in the 50s here in Boulder, but there is a winter storm warning for the higher altitudes; they are expecting about 2 feet of snow up in Estes Park. For once, Lovey is inside while Banichi is out prowling in the backyard; the squirrels were here in force yesterday afternoon, as were the finch flocks. I think the wind is keeping the small birds away this morning - we've got a good blow going at 25 to 35 mph, with gusts up to 55. It's one of our "famous" Chinook winds, coming down off the mountains from the west; they are known as "snow eater winds" by the Native Americans. After consulting with the Irish kids' owners, we've decided I'll take the kids out this afternoon, when the winds should have died down a bit.

The Twelfth Night Gathering was a tremendous success yesterday evening - about 40 people attended and we had folks from 4 to 80 there. Jim lit the candles on the tree 4 times, and we passed the dragonfly prism around for people to exclaim about the beautiful sight. There was plenty of food, as well as wine, water, coffee, tea, chai, Fuze, punch and other drinks. The fruit platter was almost demolished - there were a few blueberries left and one lone fresh pineapple chunk. The cheese and crackers and fruit breads also took major hits.

There has been much buzz in Boulder the past few weeks about the city's 150th anniversary, or sesquicentennial, to be celebrated this year. While the actual anniversary of Boulder's founding falls on Feb. 10, a group of individuals and volunteers from city government and local businesses have put together a string of events, programs and celebrations that will fill the whole year. Although too numerous to list here completely, they include citywide bell-ringing and celebrations on Feb. 10; a "Sesquicentennial Stroll" on July 4 starting with a picnic and entertainment at Chautauqua, moving through historic city sites, and ending with a concert at the Central Park band shell; panel discussions in May and September; a "Coming Home" gathering for the Arapaho tribe in August; and closing events in December. You can find a complete listing of events at the Sesquicentennial Web site: www.boulder150.com .

I am enjoying my days at home with the kits, and need to get back into the research mode. I have a lot of information to place on-line about both my husband's and my families - I just need to get back into the swing of things. I have the feeling that I'll put it off until Friday - I don't think I could concentrate well enough until the Florida - Oklahoma championship football game is over. I naturally lean toward the Gators, but my Father was born in Oklahoma, and both OU and OSU offered me scholarships... But I took the President's Scholarship at UF, so "GO GATORS!!"

No comments: