Saturday, January 31, 2009

Mustang

It's another beautiful day; bright blue, cloudless sky and warm temperatures without any wind. According to the weather-folks, it will be warmer here in Boulder than it will be in Orlando today - and that seems pretty weird to me. But Colorado weather, as usual, is going to turn around tonight, and we're expecting snow tomorrow; the weather team says that if we want to feel warm on Sunday, we should stay inside and watch TV (NBC, which means the Super Bowl), as we are expecting a cold, Arctic wind from the north. We are currently registering 38 degrees, but it's -13 in Gunnison.

The kits are running in and out... they awakened me by landing, one after the other, on my bladder, having launched their jump from 6 feet away. I got up in a hurry. I'm going to sweep the patio and refill the feeders, then settle down with a good book; that is my entire plan for all of today. Banichi is very optimistic today - he is sitting directly beneath one of the bird feeders and staring upwards - the birds won't come around with either of the kits in plain sight. Lovey is just charging around like a maniac - burbling for attention, and trying to leave black paw prints all over me.

One of the recent celebrated causes in this area is a drive to remove a statue from the entrance drive of Denver International Airport. The statue is a 32-foot tall fiberglass form of a rearing stallion, and is simply titled "Mustang". The horse is in several colors - the majority of it is bright, electric blue, with black, navy blue and red "highlights", (although the constant weathering of the elements has already bleached the fiberglass to a white color on the face, trachea, and chest); but the most note-worthy aspect of this creature is the fact that he was supplied with bright red, glowing LED eyes. To my eyes, the horse's stomach area is slightly larger than it should be; and the areas highlighted with different colors show engorged veins, in some very unusual places. In my opinion, the mustang is well-done, over-all, but I, personally, don't like the red eyes. The public feeling about the horse is 50/50 - according to a website. Some people want "the heinous blue horse" removed because it is "ugly", "frightening" and/or "demonic" in appearance - others feel that it exemplifies the true Mustang, "the Spirit of the West", and some just say it's appropriate because of the Broncos... If the horse had been given eyes of another color, I think that I would truly like and appreciate it - but the red LED eyes just turn me off....

No comments: