Sunday, January 25, 2009

Snow, books, Templars

It's 14 degrees outside and the snow is gently falling. Lovey is sitting in my lap, while Banichi is sprawled on top of my pillow. I've had my walk, and Lovey and Banichi have been out chasing the squirrels that want peanuts. Last night I finally finished reading Dragonheart - and found myself disappointed... One of the major problems in the beginning of the book is that the dragons are dying, and that is never dealt with. A mysterious voice is heard by the new Queen rider, and, later, a mysterious rider on a golden queen assists those having problems; that is never explained. The characters were likeable - but the tale just didn't hold together well and there were NO resolutions to any of the problems or mysteries. Somehow, the book left me feeling "used"....

I have promised a friend that once I read Breed to Come by Andre Norton, I will read Sherry Tepper's Gate to Women's Country, so that we can discuss it. And I was excited to find a copy of Harvard University Press' Jacobean Pageant, as well as a history of the Anglo-Scots Border Reivers. I now have some interesting histories to read to the kids that I take care of. I also grabbed 7 other out-of-print books by authors that I like. I am so happy that The Bookworm, a used bookstore, is just a short trip away! I've just had breakfast, and am sitting at my deak wearing a T-shirt, sweatpants, and I have my bare feet propped up on the radiator - it keeps them nice and toasty.

I'm looking forward to seeing a made-for-TV movie tonight - NBC is showing The Last Templar and I want to see what it's like. From the ads I've seen for it, it looks exciting and fun - except for the closing scene of the ad where it shows a man in chain-mail and a helmet with the cross of a Crusader on his over-shirt yelling "I am the last Templar!" He yells this in English - a true Knight Templar would be speaking French... I know, I'm picky, picky, picky... In any event, it's something to check out tonight.

No comments: