Friday, January 23, 2009

Sophie's Story

I received an odd telephone call yesterday - the monitoring section of credit cards called about "suspicious activity" with my account. I thought - OK, they're trying to figure out my Gator Shop purchase, and the fact that I used the card at the National Western Stock Show. Well, I was partially correct: they asked about that, but they also asked about 4 transactions with Frederick's of Hollywood and payments for use of certain unsavory websites. I acknowledged the Gator Shop and NWSS purchases, but was flabbergasted by the other charges. My card was immediately canceled, and I need to visit the bank once I finish my blog. I am really thankful that they called me!

I awoke this morning to a temperature of 30 and grey clouds outside; our high yesterday was 67 - quite a change. Up on Sugarloaf, where Grandma Anne Snow lives, they are expecting 6 to 12 inches of snow today. I've had my walk, and the kits have been running around outside for a bit, but both are back inside right now.

I met a man out walking his dog this morning; and Sophie wanted to greet me, so we allowed it all round. Sophie is a rescue dog and her new owner briefly shared her story with me: Sophie was dropped off at the animal shelter in Idaho Springs as a puppy - about 20 months ago - and was quickly adopted out. Ten weeks ago she was found in Phoenix, locked inside an empty house, and almost starved to death. In fact, the local shelter had already decided to put her down because she was in such a poor condition, and they did not think she had a chance of living. As is routine, nowadays, the shelter people ran the microchip wand over her, and found her original implant from Idaho Springs; and they contacted that shelter. The man who now has Sophie has a daughter who works at the IS shelter - and she remembered that batch of puppies. She contacted the Phoenix shelter and begged them not to put Sophie down; in two days she had arranged for a friend to pick Sophie up in Phoenix and deliver her to Albuquerque - and her father drove down to take over the transfer from there. After 18 hours in Sophie's company, he called his daughter and told her he wasn't returning Sophie to Idaho Springs - he was taking her home. The man has always had male Rottweilers in the past, so both he and his daughter were surprised by his decision to keep Sophie. She's definitely a female, and I'm not certain of her parentage, but she's large and looks mostly Malamute.... What a nice story!!!

No comments: