Thursday, January 8, 2009

Wildfire follow up; kits; Gators

The smell of smoke permeates the air today. There are conflicting reports about the wildfire of last night; it is currently 30% contained, but still burning in three places, covering 1,800 acres. The wind has died overnight, but is expected to pick up again this afternoon. The fire originally was started by a downed power line - with the winds we had yesterday, it rapidly grew out of control. So far, the Boulder Sheriff's office has confirmed the loss of 3 private homes, 3 barns, a chicken coop, and several other small out-buildings; a fourth home has "some" fire damage. According to reports, all livestock and pets are accounted for... including seven horses who were just turned loose to run for their lives before the flames (the fire had blocked their means of escape by trailer). A llama farm and the Joder Arabian Ranch have sustained a burn-over of all pastures. Happily, though, there was no loss of human life, and only a handful of our fire-fighters sustained very minor injuries - a twisted knee, soot in the eyes, etc.

The cats were not happy with me last night - because of the wind knocking down firefighters and reporters, I wouldn't let them out, figuring they could easily become air-borne. They've been out for over an hour this morning, but keep running back inside to check in with me. Soon after lunch yesterday afternoon, I felt the beginnings of a migraine, so I took my meds and laid down with the kits until 4 p.m. - then I got up to the news of the wildfire. Sheeesh! Banichi made a slow-motion chase of one of the squirrels this morning, and Lovey has run up the aspen tree multiple times... And I'm off to Rosie and Remy in a few minutes...

I probably come across as a rabid UF Gator fan, but I do realize that football is just a game... However, a Florida Representative apparently doesn't think so... According to Keith Olbermann, the Republican Rep from Florida wants Nancy Pelosi to change the House voting schedule, so that he can attend the BCS Championship ball game this evening. I'm a Gator fan - but really!!! (So I'll go ahead and sneak my feelings in here - Go Gators!) The Gators are not as important as our country is!

No comments: