Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Yikes! A Minus Fourteen Wind Chill

I only walked three miles this morning - at the time it was -2. Right now, it's 2, with a wind chill of -14... I walked until my chin and nose went numb, even through my wool scarf, and then I scurried back home. The kits ran out, Banichi chased a squirrel, and then both came back in; they're sitting next to the window in the sunshine. (I might be foolish, but my kits aren't!) We're hoping for a high of 25 today, with 30s tomorrow - and we might have a heat wave later and have temps in the 50s for Friday and Saturday! But right now, my wool-socked feet are sitting on my radiator... Yesterday it was grey and cloudy; today it's bright and sunny, and the mountains look like a painting on a post card!

I watched the second half of The Last Templar on NBC last night - it was OK, but I'd already figured out the ending, so I wasn't greatly impressed. But I did like looking at Scott Foley.
I have spoken to folks who live in both buildings here at Harvest Manor, but no one has been inspected thus far, nor do they know of any of their neighbors having been inspected; I have no idea of what's going on, but I hate to sit around waiting for something that might not happen... In the 3+ years I've been here, there has not been any such apartment inspection previously!
Since the ground is covered with snow, the bird feeders are being hit hard - I'm getting 5 kinds of sparrows, 3 kinds of finches, chickadees and nuthatches, one young woodpecker and the squirrels. The sparrows are also flocking on the ground under the feeders, as are the local flock of pigeons. I swear it sounds like the pigeons are cooing ,"loup garou!" and Lovey wants to grab her favorite pigeon, as always...

I'm due to walk the Irish kids today - but I'm going to cancel, I think. It's a little too chilly to go out and walk this morning - but it should be OK for tomorrow. I'll check to see if they'd like me to walk the kids on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week... I'll be cheering for the Steelers on Sunday - and I can't wait to see the new Budweiser Clydesdales commercials. ... Lovey decided last night that my watch is a great toy. Now, one needs to understand that my watch is actually a child's plastic watch on an elastic band. The watch case itself is green plastic, and the seconds are marked by a yellow and green gecko chasing each other; the watchband is blue, with yellow and green geckos. It's very lightweight, was quite inexpensive, and has been through the washer and dryer many times. Anyway, after two years Lovey has decided it's the best toy in the house; she spent over an hour tossing it and chasing it all over the apartment. I really don't know why it has such a sudden fascination for her.

No comments: