Wednesday, February 25, 2009

More Wildfires

Jefferson County (JeffCo) is just to the south of Boulder County here in Colorado. Yesterday, along a stretch of train tracks in JeffCo a Union Pacific engine was reportedly "not sounding right" according to several people who live by the tracks - some looked out their doors and windows to see what was going on. Several people saw sparks - and these caused 7 wildfires along the tracks in JeffCo yesterday. One house and several outbuildings were consumed by the blazes - luckily, a neighbor happened to see the fire start near the destroyed house and was able to evacuate it's 92-year-old owner and her daughter before the home caught fire. Union Pacific is assisting those people with losses. This is one of the reasons why I keep blogging that we need rain, snow, sleet... any precipitation is welcome!!

It reached 68 degrees here yesterday - and it's more than 40 outside right now. The sunrise was glorious, and the girls, Suki and Boo, seemed to enjoy their dawn walk with me. Soon I'll be headed over to the Irish kids, and then home to my kits for a few hours before returning here to feed the girls supper. I'm also making Kathy and Jim a pan of brownies as a welcome home treat, and then I can go back to my kits. Sigh. I swept my patio yesterday, and found the kits' purple bell ball in a corner under some leaves - I tossed it out in the yard and had Lovey and Banichi playing chase for about 30 minutes. It was great fun watching them run and chase that ball.

Let's see... bits and pieces today.... My cousin took the Virginia Bar Exam yesterday in Norfolk, and the whole family is cheering her on (she's already passed the New York Bar)... My cousin Patti in Idaho has a terrible head cold and swears she's dying from it... I've gotten hooked playing with the Hatchlings application on Facebook (and the Mafia app, also!)... My nephew Mike, the tattoo artist, has named his studio "Immortal Ink on the Hill"; his studio is on Broadway, next to the University of Colorado, and the area is known as "the Hill", "Uni Hill", and "University Hill." ... Kathy and Jim are cross-country skiing today in the Copper Mountain area and are due back tonight... And I'm looking forward to seeing Tom Selleck portray Jesse Stone Sunday night on CBS - I love the books, and I love Selleck's portrayal of this interesting policeman!

No comments: