Monday, February 2, 2009

Sunday's Super Stuff

It's the second of February; the groundhog has seen his shadow, predicting another 6 weeks of winter, and yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday. It's 25 degrees outside (and -11 in Gunnison), the sun is shining and there are light layers of cirrus clouds up in the sky. If I look west, the mountains closest to me are brown and green with patches of white snow; the crowns of the back range are a gleaming white today, as opposed to yesterday's brown. We did not receive any snow here in Boulder or Denver yesterday or last night, even though the weather folks predicted it. They are saying that we'll have wind gusts of 30 to 50 mph this afternoon...

I finished reading The Gate to Women's Country yesterday; and I began The Apostate's Tale. The first book is an extremely thought-provoking novel. I am still turning over in my mind all of the stones that the book over-turned - and once one is over-turned, it seems to over-turn yet another.... it is a very interesting book by Sheri S. Tepper. I recommend it highly! Lovey hadn't played with her favorite ball toys recently, so I spent 45 minutes doing nothing but playing with her and her favorite yellow ball yesterday afternoon. Then I played with Banichi and his strings for the same amount of time; after finishing, I gave both of them a large pinch of catnip, which both of them inhaled and ate immediately.

The football game turned out to be thrilling - and I cheered on the Steelers, because they have a couple of players from UF and because I like Troy Polamalu. I was excited when James Harrison, a defensive back, scored the 100-yard touchdown, after picking off a pass just before half-time. I was alarmed when the Cardinals came back, making up a 13 point deficient, and then pulling ahead. I was ecstatic when Santonio Holmes grabbed the winning touchdown pass.
I did laugh at the beginning of the game when I saw some of the players say, rather incredulously, that Jennifer Hudson had lip-synched the National Anthem. Of course, Faith Hill had also lip-synched her rendition of America the Beautiful. The local media had announced proudly that John Elway would perform the coin-toss at the beginning of the game, so I was rather surprised when General David Petreaus did so.

Ah, yes.... the commercials. I absolutely loathed the Career Builders ad with the repetitions of a woman screaming in her car, a man crying, etc. After the second repetition of the woman screaming, I said, "Enough already! " and turned off the sound. I also disliked the E*Trade commercial where the talking baby told the African-American baby he couldn't sing. My favorites? The Doritos crystal ball ad; the Budweiser Clydesdale great-grandfather ad; the Coca-Cola retro bugs and butterflies ad; the Budweiser Clydesdale-dancing horse love ad; the Budweiser Clydesdale "fetch" ad; the Bob Dylan/rapper Pepsi ad; and the MacGyver/PepSuber Pepsi ad. I wonder what would have happened if NBC had allowed the PETA commercials with their sensual "eat vegetarian" themes? Oh, well.... Have a good week!

No comments: