Thursday, March 5, 2009

137 Year Old Record Broken

It's another bright, sunny, windy morning; temperature is 51 degrees, and Boulder has already had a wind gust recorded at 53 mph. Temperatures started being recorded in this area in 1872 - 137 years ago; yesterday we broke the record set that first year: it was 76 degrees. We're supposed to hit 70 today, 61 tomorrow, and now the forecasters say we might have snow on Saturday and Tues coming... The wind was still quite a factor yesterday, as it is expected to be today; and the Quarry Fire is supposedly 70% contained this morning. The fire was caused by the use of C4 plastic explosives in a "live fire practice" at Fort Carson, according to an Army spokesman. My kits have had a ball running in and out and chasing the squirrels this morning; I walked about 2 miles and then my knee swelled up so much that I had to take a short-cut back home.... Don't know if I'll get out to the Irish kids or not today.

One of my friends works at home as a programmer for Hewlett Packard. During a conference call yesterday morning, he was asked to install and start the program he's been working on for the client; he argued that it still had some bugs and asked not to implement it. His HP bosses and the client over ruled him, so he installed and started the program. The result? The server shut down - and it has over 350,000 connections to separate PCs... My friend is spending the rest of this week "ironing out the bugs" and trying to restore the clients' main server to its previous condition. My friend is not particularly happy about all the extra work that this has incurred - especially since he warned against it in the first place.

I am scheduled to see my psychiatrist today to discuss how I feel and my medication program. I tried Abilify, a new drug, the last time I saw him; all it brought me was diarrhea and headaches. After I see Jed, I plan on going to the public library - I have about 20 paperbacks that I haven't yet read, but I told a friend I'd read "A Confederacy of Dunces" and let her know what I thought about the book. (Plus I have about 10 books I need to return.) - And I joined the History Book Club, so I can now pick and choose good histories at a smaller cost. I used to get all my London and British history books from them. I really recommend them as a Book Club!

No comments: