Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Banichi (and Sales)

I managed to visit the grocery store at the right time yesterday - just after the meat department manager had marked down several items. I was able to purchase 1.5 pounds of extra-lean ground round for $1.75, and 3 huge boneless chicken breasts for $1.59. I really like to shop on days when I arrive soon after manager markdowns! I also purchased a new type of "all natural" dry cat food - Lovey thought it smelled good, and then spit the kibble back out once she took one chew of it; Banichi has eaten a small amount of it, and doesn't seem to mind whatever it is that Lovey finds objectionable.

In re-reading yesterday's blog, I feel as if I were mean when I described Banichi's hunting behavior. My poor 'Nichi-man! When I moved into this apartment almost 4 years ago, I found that he had been left behind by a previous tenant. I have no knowledge of his kittenhood, or the first 18 to 24 months of his life. I know that when he deigned to appear from behind the refrigerator, he was a skinny grey cat; I took him to the Humane Society and had him checked out and then brought him back home. He did not know how to jump onto things - he would grab the edge of the bed with his front claws and drag his body up onto the mattress - he didn't know how to run and play, nor how to climb a tree; and, even after 4 years with me, he is afraid of me when I am wearing any type of shoes. Because of these things, I feel that he was abused by his previous owners. He now jumps, but is still unsure of distances and exactly how much power to use; he's learned to run, but still has occasions when he bounces straight up and does not progress in a forward motion; he loves to chase string and play with toys of that sort (and he likes to keep his favorites inside the waterbowl); and after 3 years, he began climbing trees a year ago. I don't know if his mama ever had a chance to teach him to hunt, or if he was able to play with siblings. All I know is that he's a sweet boy, and that he gives his all to anything he undertakes. So, I was not making fun of him yesterday in his quest to catch a squirrel - honest!

No comments: