Friday, March 27, 2009

Knee-deep snow!

Wheeee!!! The snow is above my knees in some places I walked this morning - but considering how short I am, that isn't really that much.... Anyway, the snow is still coming down in light flurries, and Boulder officially logged in 16+ inches of snow yesterday. I did most of my walk today on recently plowed roadways - as there was no traffic to be seen. It's 14 degrees outside, with a wind chill of 0. And yesterday there were snowboarders having fun on the hill in the front of the Governor's House in Denver. People are still driving too fast for the conditions, and there are lots of vehicles sliding all over the place.

The snow is deeper than the kits are tall, and neither has ventured out into the white stuff. The squirrels stopped visiting about mid-afternoon yesterday, but the birds kept coming for food until dark. I was enthralled, again, by the large red-shafted flicker, who came and had several helpings of sunflower seeds. I don't know if it was because of the snow backdrop, or what, but the black dots on its' sides and belly looked as if they were absolutely going to burst outwards... it was really neat!

Nothing else is going on - we're supposed to reach the low 30s today and the 50s for the weekend - I'll be heading to the library tomorrow to get some new books to read, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the series of The Chronicles of Matthew Bartholomew by Susanna Gregory. Hope you have a great weekend!

No comments: