Friday, April 3, 2009

Home again

Yesterday and today had beautiful sunrises - the sky was blue and the sun painted the clouds with various shades of orange. The sun shone most of yesterday, and it's supposed to do so up until noon today, when the out-lying bits of a snow storm start to appear. The forecasters are still not sure how the storm will hit us, so they're saying we'll get between 6 and 16 inches of snow this evening and through tomorrow. Currently, there are no birds visiting what's left of the seed on the patio - and the squirrels cleaned up the peanuts long ago. After this snow, I'll break down and go out and sweep the leftover seed off the patio and out into the yard... I miss the sound of the birds.

The Ward Churchill trial is over. Here are the first four sentences from today's Boulder Daily Camera about it: "The University of Colorado unlawfully fired Ward Churchill for expressing his political beliefs, a Denver jury decided Thursday. But in what legal experts labeled a “compromise verdict,” the four women and two men on the jury only awarded the former ethnic studies professor $1 in damages. Chief Denver District Judge Larry Naves will decide at a separate hearing whether Churchill, 61, gets his job back at CU or is given a lump sum of money instead. CU will also have to pay Churchill’s legal costs. " The accompanying photo shows Churchill standing in the court room, smiling and holding a one dollar bill above his head.

The kits were ecstatic to have me back home yesterday afternoon. They stuck to me like glue, until I opened the patio door and let them go play in the back yard. Then Lovey kept running back inside, leaping onto my chest, and generally coating my bright yellow shirt with lots of black muddy paw prints. After playing in the yard for about 45 minutes, they both curled up in my lap and were very unhappy to be dislodged when I had to answer the telephone. Both kits slept with me - Lovey on my legs and Banichi on my chest - all night long. It was nice to be so loved and comforted... More grass has sprouted in the back yard, and, hopefully, the snow we get this weekend will also help the green stuff grow. We're also looking at another snow storm about Wednesday - so our winter was mild and dry, and our spring is very snowy. There is one lone robin seeking worms in the back yard right now.... And I'm about to head out to walk the Irish kids; they always make me feel good!

No comments: