Saturday, April 25, 2009

A soft day

As I've always backed up my family tree files whenever I've made any alterations, including additions, I was able to find my son's family tree and restore it after I finished blogging yesterday. Other than the afternoon cloud build-up, yesterday was picture perfect... I did not set my alarm this morning, as Lovey usually awakens me at 5 or 5:30 each day. I awoke today at 7:15... Lovey was still curled up on my legs, while Banichi was in the cat tree looking out. Today is what the Scots call a "soft" day - misty, grey, patches of fog, and temperatures in the 40s. I walked to the bakery and grabbed a bagel and returned home in a T-shirt and jeans - had no water build-up on my glasses, and didn't really feel damp at all. I laughed at four teens who were huddling inside sweat suits and complaining about how cold it was.

Lovey has already left a multitude of muddy paw prints all over my chest, back and lap, as well as on the desk, my note paper, and she's managed to sling some mud that has stuck to the monitor face. Banichi has ventured out once, realized that it was wet and immediately curled up in a ball in his favorite chair. Lovey, however, keeps trekking in and out and doesn't seem to notice that her fur is wet and bedraggled. She is having a ball digging in the soft wet dirt - I can't really blame her - like mother, like daughter ... Right now I have an old western, made in 1957, The Tomahawk Trail, starring Chuck Connors and John Smith playing as background noise. The newer tenants in the apartment building make rather odd noises throughout the day, and seem to party in the hallways - so I've started keeping either music or the TV on to blanket the loudest sounds.

I had a marvelous chat with my cousin Sarah in Missouri yesterday. I wished we lived closer to each other than we do - I'd be out helping her and Pam with anything they wanted to do.... including putting all the grandkids into life vests and going out on the river with every single one of them. I'm going to catch up on my Facebook requests today, and then tomorrow I'll start doing genealogy research again. The public library is hoping that their stop-gap measures to prevent leakage around the many skylights have worked - last week, with the heavy wet snow and rain, the entire second floor roof leaked like a sieve. - I hope you have a wonderful weekend, where ever you are!

No comments: