Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Warmth

It was a wonderful 67 degrees yesterday, and we're expecting 70 today and tomorrow. We are still only at 50% of our usual rain/snow level for this time of year - but the watershed icepack is back up to 99%. The door is open and the kits are having a ball in the sun - Banichi is playing that he's a cutting horse this morning and is keeping up with the squirrels, nose to nose. Lovey is currently sitting on my desk, "helping" me type. Bear warning signs are going up, and wardens are checking to see that folks who live near bear habitat have "bear-proof" garbage containers. My most ardent greeter when I went out walking this morning was a red-shafted flicker - it serenaded me for about 5 minutes... All the birds and squirrels are still visiting, to check out whether or not there might be food for them on the patio. I miss the sound of almost constant birdsong on the patio.

When I returned home yesterday from Hila's, I had a phone message from an old client asking for me to save 4 days in October for her, as well as a weekend in June. I called her back and confirmed that I was available, and checked up on her number of pets - it's still 3 dogs and Frippet, the 17-year-old African Clawed Frog. About a half hour later, I checked my e-mail and found that the Rs family wanted me for that same weekend in June. I replied that I had just booked for that weekend, but the other house was 5 blocks away - would that work out? Rosie and Remy's family has changed their vacation date completely - just so I can give the Irish kids my undivided attention. That made me feel good, but humble.

Last night I was watching The American Experience on PBS - about the Wampanoag tribe and their initial welcome of the English, which turned to war due to the avarice of the immigrants. The program showed that the first English hostage was Edward Winslow; I immediately called my sister and asked if she was watching the program. After she said yes, I explained that we were descended from Edward Winslow's younger brother, who was the coffin-maker for the colony. That led us into a quick discussion of family, which ended with her announcing that Jim, her husband, was undergoing tests to see if he has Multiple Myeloma. I did not sleep well last night. Multiple myeloma is a type of cancer that begins in the blood plasma, ends up in the bone marrow, and forms lesions or tumors on bones throughout the body. Jim will get the results of his bone scans on Wednesday; he runs in the Boston Marathon on Monday, the 20th. If his scans come back positive, or some of his other tests are abnormal, he'll have a bone marrow biopsy upon his return from Boston. Kathy says there's a lot of anger and denial in the house right now...

No comments: