Saturday, May 16, 2009

I just woke up...

Sorry for the lateness of this post. I woke up about 10 minutes ago, stretched, looked at the clock and freaked. I guess being back home in my own bed, with the kits in their usual sleeping spaces on me, combined with a cool and cloudy morning, made for a perfect sleep-in day. So I'm writing this blog "blind" today - usually, I've read the local paper, looked at international, national and local news, checked my e-mail, and checked out The Bloodhorse (at this time of year) before I start even thinking about what I'm going to put into this space. Today, you'll get a "cold" blog...

I know that NBC is televising the Preakness Stakes from Pimlico today at 4:30 on the east coast and 2:30 my time. Of course, the actual race won't be started until about 5:55 (EDT) - but the reporters will have a field day talking about Rachel Alexandra and how she's running against the boys, and how Calvin Borel agreed to ride her (one of his usual mounts) and not Mine That Bird. I am surprised that D Wayne Lucas is running Flying Private today, especially with his last-place finish in the Derby... I haven't even looked at the other runners' pedigrees yet... so I have no idea who I'll be rooting for, other than Rachel...

Kathy and Jim returned safe, sound, and pooped but happy, from their trip to see the Atlantis take the last load of equipment up to the Hubble Telescope. Please excuse the pun, but they had a blast! They attended a few Hubble parties and saw the launch and spent two days exploring the Space Museum and visiting Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge. They also slept in a day and wandered the beach, and had a very relaxed time. Jim looked refreshed when he returned, but the weather front that moved through yesterday evening knocked Kathy out. I got stuck in a one hour traffic delay due to an accident on the Boulder Turnpike on my way to the airport - and I had just parked the truck and run up to the baggage level, when Kathy and Jim spotted me and waved... they had had a 55 minute delay in flight, flying around a massive storm cell, so things worked out OK. - But it is nice to be home!

No comments: