Saturday, May 2, 2009

Kentucky Derby Day

Lots of news from the thoroughbred racing world today... But first, I have 3 squirrels sitting inside my living room (under the guarding stares of Lovey and Banichi) eating peanuts. I guess Monty told a couple of friends about food being available - if they would brave the dangers of the kits and me. ... It's damp, grey, overcast and yuckky out. I have made my morning walk and had to laugh as I went through Safeway to get a fresh bagel: a bag boy was being intently examined by one of the higher managers - I heard her say, "You've got dried toothpaste around your mouth, and dried boogers in your nose, ... and sleep in your eyes. Come on, we're going to clean you up." So I asked the cashier what was going on and she replied that the Regional mucky-mucks were visiting this morning, and everything was supposed to be "perfect".... I just had to laugh.

NBC race analyst Bob Neumeier collapsed during a broadcast from Churchill Downs yesterday; he was immediately taken to the hospital and will not be at today's broadcast of the Derby. ESPN will begin coverage of the Derby at 10 EDT and NBC will follow up from 4 through 6:30.
Yesterday was the girls' version of the Kentucky Derby - the Kentucky Oaks. Rachel Alexandra was the betting favorite and she won by over 20 lengths, relaxing (or coasting) at the end... Now folks are wondering if she's good enough to beat the boys. I think she probably could have won the race against the guys today... but that is just my opinion.

Betting favorite I Want Revenge has been scratched from the Derby, as of 6 a.m. His connections held a press conference at 9:15 this morning, and it was revealed that the colt has a slightly swollen ankle and that Churchill Downs' attending vet, Larry Bramblage, felt it would not be a good idea to run the horse on a wet track. So the Derby will have 19 contenders this year. I have not seen any of these horses run before, unless they ran in the Breeders Cup Juvenile last year (and then they did not make any great impression on me). If I were to choose a winner based strictly on pedigree, I'd go for Chocolate Candy. However, trainer D Wayne Lucas is returning to the Derby for the first time in several years with a colt named Flying Private, and he doesn't enter a race if he doesn't think he can win it. Trainer Larry Jones is back for the third year in a row; two years ago Hard Spun lost by a nose; last year Eight Belles was euthanized on the track; this year he thinks that Freisan Fire will win the Run for the Roses for him. Who will I pick? I have no idea - I'll make my choice as I see them parade out onto the track to the tune of My Old Kentucky Home....

No comments: