Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday Miscellany

Now that I've calmed down a bit after Mine That Bird's incomparable win in Saturday's Derby, maybe I can remember to write all the info that I wish to convey.... but I don't know if I'm capable. On Derby Day, Bird's owners said it was "... on to the Preakness"; today the trainer is sounding sceptical, and the owners a little more cautious. Chip, the horse's trainer, feels that he was just readying the colt for the Derby, not the entire Triple Crown path; the owners seem to have caught Triple Crown fever, and want to go on. At the moment, the only confirmed entrant into the Preakness is the fourth place finisher, Papa Clem. The owners surprised visitors to the Kentucky Derby Museum at the Kentucky Horse Park on Sunday by showing up and giving each visitor a rose from Mine That Bird's winning rose blanket.

I was excited to hear on Saturday that NBC would be showing the highlights from this year's Rolex Three Day Event from the Kentucky Horse Park on Sunday. I made sure I was parked in the front of the TV, hoping to get a glimpse of dressage, cross-country jumping, and stadium jumping. Unfortunately for me, the Chicago Blackhawks and the Anaheim Ducks went into 3 over-time periods, meaning no horse coverage. (Grrrrrr!!) - This is our fourth day of cloudy, dreary and weepy skies here; I'm hoping the projected rain will hold off until after I've taken the Irish kids out for their walk and romp this morning. It's currently 46 degrees and we have (gasp!) 96% humidity; we're expected to hit the mid-60s today and be in the 70s and 80s through Saturday. - NBCs Today show just interviewed the Mine That Bird group (the trainer, owners, and Calvin Borel) and they said they'd make their decision about the Preakness later this week. Calvin had already taken Bird out on the track this morning to loosen him up and keep him limber.

Brother-in-law Jim Snow will have a bone marrow biopsy tomorrow afternoon - he's already had two positive markers for Multiple Myeloma show up in his blood work and urine. The test tomorrow will be the conclusive one. I'll be at Kathy and Jim's house for the 10th thru the 15th, as they travel to Florida to see the Hubble Telescope space shuttle launch. And then Jim plans on running in the Bolder Boulder race on Memorial Day. As soon as the results from his biopsy are known, I'll share them. - The red vixen that dens behind Kathy and Jim's yard has produced at least three cubs, and she is slowly introducing them to the outdoors. (I will have to walk the rear fence-line prior to turning Rosie and Remy loose in the yard now.) And a neighbor has placed two bee boxes near the den, as well, so we'll have a lot of honey bees and little foxes for company. - I think that's all I wanted to write today, but I'll probably remember something else as soon as I post this... And, as Scarlet always said: "After all, tomorrow is another day!"

No comments: