Saturday, May 9, 2009

Pomona Tornado

One of my regular clients had a family medical emergency, so I unexpectedly spent last night away from home. Sarah, I received your message this morning. I'm glad that Aunt Theoda's place made it through the tornado with only a loss of some trees; I'm sorry to hear about the neighbor's home... And I'm happy to hear that everyone else in the family and their property is OK. (Do you think your Dad was kicking up his heels on his birthday?) You greatly relieved my mind with your message! And, heading along with the weather, we're coming up on a time of a lot of solar storms, so one can expect all sorts of electrical outages. (See: http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/may/08/boulder-scientists-predict-a-weak-sun-cycle/ ) Kathy and Jim fly to Florida tomorrow, so folks there can blame any nasty weather on them - the Snows in Florida in May.

I hope to go see the new Star Trek movie this coming week. Cheyenne, a friend of mine, saw it yesterday and said the new film is "too good for mere words." I did have to laugh yesterday afternoon, when our (the apartment complex's) new sprinkler system was turned on. There is a sprinkler head less than an inch away from the south corner of my patio; yesterday, the kits were outside, running around, when I heard this strange hissing sound. Both cats promptly came inside. I looked out and saw the still recessed sprinkler head bubbling water (it looked like a Tonka toy dump truck tire spitting water out of the tire rim); after 10 minutes, I had a considerable puddle of water on my patio; then there were a series of hisses and the sprinkler rose about a half inch and alternately bubbled or shot a small spray of water out at a distance of about 6 inches; then for 6 minutes, the sprinkler head rose up completely, and watered a neat half-circle of about 20 feet. After this, the head retreated into it's shell, and water bubbled onto my patio again for a few more minutes. We had a nice breeze yesterday, and, before 5 minutes had passed, the area that had actually been watered was bone dry again. The sprinkler across the yard fared even worse - it only bubbled and created a large puddle of mud (which Lovey has enjoyed immensely!).

Calvin Borel has agreed to ride Rachel Alexandra in all of her races for her new owners and trainer Steve Asmussen. If the new owners decide to run her in the Preakness, then Borel will be riding the filly and not Mine That Bird. I am truly glad that I don't have to make that kind of a decision! Other than being breezy, yesterday was a beautiful day for graduation from CU... and it was so nice out that Rosie did not want to return home at the end of our morning walk. The closer we got to her house, the slower she walked - until I was almost dragging her along behind me, while Remy was eager to get back home. I have promised the red kids that they can come over and spend an afternoon with Suki and Boo in the backyard this coming week... I'll set up a huge water tub for the dogs, and sit under the apple tree reading... a nice relaxing day....
Have a super weekend!!

No comments: