Saturday, May 30, 2009

Saturday in the Country

I had a nice quiet night out in the country - and shall have 5 more... I put the young chicks to bed at 8 last night, having had a nice long walk with Pepper and Lucy around 6:30. There is some cloud cover this morning, so while it got light around 5, the sun is not yet shining. Jim, my brother-in-law, was kind enough to ferry me out here to Brigadoon so I would not have to make multiple trips with my supplies (being my food and drink and my books to read) and clothes. Lucy and Pepper were ecstatic to see me, and after loving them and giving them a treat, I walked through the house and around the yard. The chicks are adorable, ugly, and hysterical at the same time. Their bodies are about the size of my fist, and their feathers are just starting to grow out in their tails and wings - and two of them have feathered legs. A couple of them did not want to be cooped up last night, but I caught them and gently placed them inside their night-time house. When I first went over to look at them in the afternoon, one orange chick had caught a big worm, and it announced the fact to everyone! Then it had to run to make sure the others didn't steal it. It ended up standing with its head in a corner of the pen to be able to gobble down the tasty tidbit.

Jess Jackson, a co-owner of Rachel Alexandra, announced late yesterday afternoon that she would not be running in the Belmont. Chip Woolley, Mine That Bird's trainer, immediately contacted Calvin Borel, and Calvin has agreed to ride the Bird in the Belmont. If Mine That Bird wins the Belmont, he will be the first horse in 14 years (since Dust Commander in 1995) to winner the Derby and the Belmont. - And, if Bird does win, Borel will have won a person Triple Crown on two mounts. Me? I'm cheering for Mine That Bird! And I'll probably pick another horse to run as an exacta bet.....

Niece Olivia just graduated from Johnson and Wales in Denver, and I hope to be able to attend her celebratory family get-together this afternoon in Niwot. It'll be nice to be able to sit and chat with Tracey and David again (Olivia's parents). - Not much else going on at the moment: even though I do miss the kits tremendously. But I'll see them tomorrow morning! - The Denver Nuggets lost the Divisional title to the LA Lakers last night. And the Denver Rockies fired general manager Clint Hurdle after 7 years - but they say they have offered him another position in the club. I've always liked Clint Hurdle - he certainly does deserve the nickname of "Mr. Nice Guy"!! Have a great weekend!

No comments: