Friday, May 8, 2009

A Windy Friday

Today is graduation day at CU Boulder. While out walking prior to 7 this morning, I ran into well over 100 well-dressed parents, grandparents, and family members on their way to an early breakfast before the big show at Folsom Field. A cool westerly breeze picked up over night, and we're expecting a high of 66, after a high of 80 yesterday. It's bright and sunny, but windy. The local traffic reporter has just said the Boulder Turnpike is packed and is bumper-to-bumper from Denver all the way to Arapahoe, which is a block north of my apartment. The kits are out playing in the yard, and I currently have one squirrel eating peanuts in the living room.

*I Want Revenge, the Derby favorite who was scratched Saturday morning, looks to have a torn ligament in his fetlock/ankle area is is probably out of racing for the rest of the year. *Friesan Fire, who became the favorite for the Derby after I Want Revenge's scratch, finished next to last; he apparently grabbed a quarter (one of his hind feet overstepped a forefoot and removed a large chunk of meat and hoof with the racing shoe) and had several other nicks and cuts due to "close racing" up to and through the first turn. Friesan Fire has shipped to Pimlico , and it will depend upon his workout at the track on Tuesday as to whether he'll be entered into the Preakness. *Rachel Alexandra has been sold and will be moving to Steve Asmussen's training barn. With new owners and a new trainer, it is not known if she will race in the next two races of the Triple Tiara for fillies. * Desert Party, one of Sheik Mohammad's Godolphin entries in the Derby, will undergo surgery to remove a bone chip in his ankle that showed up in after the race X-rays. Godolphin Stables also purchased Westside Bernie after his ninth place finish in the Derby. *And, finally, one of Queen Elizabeth II's race horses has tested positive for a banned substance after a race in England....

I am still planning on moving my kits into Kathy and Jim's house on Sunday, after I drop them off at DIA for their flight to Orlando. Having the kits with me will mean I don't have to run back and forth between my apartment and their house, and will be able to reduce my "carbon footprint" a bit; the kits will have a vacation in a much larger residence, and will be able to renew their friendship with Suki and Boo. Of course, the kits can always retreat upstairs if the dogs get to be too much for them, as a gate keeps the girls downstairs. And there are tons of windows and lots of birds and squirrels, fox, skunks, and deer, so I'm pretty sure the kits won't be bored! I'm off to walk the Irish kids! Have a great Friday!

No comments: