Thursday, July 2, 2009

"Brutal" Humidity!

I've already had a good laugh this morning. We had a big thunderstorm last night with lots of lightning and thunder. I sat in the den with the lights out and watched the storm through the skylights and the windows. It was a glorious storm - it flooded parts of Broadway, and the Boulder Creek Path, which was re-opened yesterday afternoon, was promptly re-closed. This morning, it's 57 degrees with a humidity of 87% here in Boulder, while it's 61 and the humidity is 93% in Denver. One of the local meteorologists was talking about how "brutal" the combination of temperature and humidity is at 6 a.m. (They didn't grow up on the east coast, apparently.) So that's been my laugh for the morning.

Yoshi and Aiko enjoyed their two walks yesterday; Rosie and Remy went wild in the Silver Lake Ditch irrigation sprinkler system at Kathy and Jim's and both of them got completely soaked before we returned home. I met with Smiley and Silver's owner yesterday as well, and we discussed changes in their care, diet, and exercise regimen. Lovey declared that she was absolutely starving when I got to my apartment yesterday afternoon,but Banichi has decided that he's miffed with me and spent the first hour I was home under the bed, Then he realized that it really was me, and he curled up in my lap and wouldn't get out... and I had to have at least one hand stroking him at all times, too. The red kids go to the groomer's today, so I won't be walking them until tomorrow.

I am sorry to say goodbye to actor Karl Malden. He was 97 years old, and I can't remember a time when he was not on TV or in the movies. He was an icon of both the silver and the big screen. ... And a judge in Denver heard the arguments for and against the re-instatement of Ward Churchill as a professor at CU Boulder; he is scheduled to announce his ruling next week. Churchill said yesterday that he is seeking re-instatement as "a matter of principle, mainly" and that monetary issues had nothing to do with it. Somehow I just don't believe that; to me it seems that he is milking every last little bit of publicity and notoriety that he can out of this incident. I, for one, hope that he is not re-instated, because that (to me, anyway) would be a license for other professors to lie, plagiarize, and fake research and then claim they were only using their freedom of speech and that their First Amendment rights had been violated. - And, just think, it's almost Friday!!!


No comments: