Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Not much...

I tried eating at a "new" restaurant yesterday. It's been in town for the past 4 years, and I've heard lots of good things about their food. The food was delicious - but at 2 this morning, I had to run to the bathroom. I've spent most of the time since then in the bathroom - hot flashes, cold sweats, diarrhea and vomiting. I can't say that it definitely was eating at Aji's that caused my illness, but it was the only thing I've done differently in the past month. I guess something somewhere in one of the recipes did not agree with me. I feel so rotten that I'm cancelling my morning walk with Rosie and Remy, but I'll visit them and walk them this evening instead - keeping my fingers crossed that I'll feel much better by that time. Banichi has been concerned and keeps bringing me his shoe string, whether I'm in the bathroom, or sprawled upon the bed. He's a good man. Lovey sits beside my pillow and stares at my face, mumbling to herself. When I'm in the bathroom, they both sit right outside the door, guarding me (if Banichi isn't busy with his prized shoe string). - Sarah, have no fear, your book will be sent before close of business today!!

The other day I really enjoyed watching a young crow out with its' parents, or, possibly, older siblings. (Crows and ravens stay with their parents for at least two years, learning all the calls and helping to raise younger chicks, so they will be good parents in their turn.) It was early morning, and what first drew my attention was the noise the youngster was making. It sounded like a cross between a buzzer/timer that goes off at the end of a basketball quarter, and a somehow hopeful sound. I looked around, and there was a smaller crow down beside some trees, with three other crows. The smaller one was doing the usual baby bird thing of sticking it's head out and shaking its wings piteously and crying for food. The other birds would eat something for themselves, then go place a bit in the youngster's mouth. This went on for over ten minutes, and I found it entertaining and relaxing at the same time. ... The mountain lion warning signs are still posted from the May 25th sighting, over by Riverside and 19th. No one has seen the lion since then, so I'm wondering when the signs will be removed. ... And on Saturday, Colonial Downs in Virginia will run the Virginia Derby - 10 3-year-old colts are competing, including Battle of Hastings and the full brother of Barbaro, Nicanor. It should be an interesting race.

No comments: