Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wildlife Parade

Yesterday was warm, but not really hot - it reached 86. Today we're supposed to hit 92 and stay in the 90s through Sunday; with those temps and the lack of humidity, hydration for every living thing becomes an issue. The little guys and I have had our morning walk, and I need to go visit Ooch and put out Connie's trash. Then I'll do research until I go walk Rosie and Remy. I was delighted to visit Wilbur yesterday evening while his family were at a Rockies game - and he surprised me by bringing me a bone that was almost his own weight and size from where he had hidden it in the back yard. Gus, a black dog who lives on Topaz, has an infected salivary gland, so he looks as if he has a case of mumps in his left jaw.

I was able to see a virtual parade of wildlife yesterday evening, along Topaz and Riverside. First, a neighbor named Charlie had his two-year-old daughter out for a walk at dusk - and they were being watched over by two of the family's tabby cats. One cat walked ahead of the toddler, while the second followed Charlie; it was very cute. It's breeding season for the squirrels (again) and so I was treated to several daring displays of the little guys swarming up and down trees, and making seemingly impossible leaps from one tree to another. And a mother fox had her four kits out, looking as if they were lined up for my inspection, along a stretch of the Silver Lake irrigation ditch. Then, while I was tidying the kitchen after feeding Ooch last night, a movement caught my eye in the back yard, and I watched as a 6-point, 8-point, and 10-point buck strolled out from behind the garden shed and began grazing in the yard by the pond. All the bucks are in velvet, and they look stupendous!

I lost a sock somewhere in the house last night, and I need to find it before I go out walking again. Lovey and Banichi seem very disappointed each time I grab my bag and leave them - again - every day. I know they have tons of toys, and are using them; I know they have plenty of food and water, and that their potty-boxes are clean; I spend at least two hours each day playing with them and loving them; but I'm beginning to feel guilty about not being at home with them. Luckily, I get to spend days with them again, starting on Saturday! Have a good day!

No comments: