Thursday, July 30, 2009

Yesterday's Pony Swim - Auction Today

The US Coast Guard signaled slack tide at 9:43 a.m. yesterday morning, and the round-up men of Chincoteague herded the wild ponies into the water for their swim across Assateague Channel. Four minutes and twenty-one seconds later, the swim leaders stepped onto the shore at Chincoteague's Pony Swim area, which is next to Memorial Park. Some folks went to the swim area at 1:30 in the morning, trying to stake out the "best view" for the swim. One foal turned back during the swim, and was put aboard the Saltwater Cowboys' barge, which followed the swimmers across the Channel. After a rest, the ponies were then herded west on Beebe Road to Main Street, and then north to the Carnival Grounds. I understand that the crowd estimates for this year's swim were between 40 and 50 thousand people. ** The auction of foals and yearlings began at 8 a.m. this morning, and will probably last until 11:30 or noon. I will report on the numbers and prices tomorrow morning. Above this posting are several photos taken yesterday by Ray Diel, of the Salisbury Daily Times newspaper. I'll have access to many others at a later date - but Ray's are excellent! If you'd like to see more photos, or a video of this year's swim, please visit www.delmarvanow.com - they have a very good site.

Our temperature got all the way up to 60 degrees yesterday. Early in the morning, clouds were high, but as the day wore on, the clouds began to gather on the crowns of the peaks, and then slowly clambered down the Flatirons. It began to rain at about 11:30 yesterday morning, and it is still misting. We hope to see a high of 67 today. I took the red kids out on 3 walks yesterday, working them in between the rain showers. We all slept like the dead last night - I had a quilt covering me, with both dogs beside me. Lovey feels awkward about this storm system... I think the prolonged low pressure is bringing back memories of Hurricane Katrina. She is much more "clingy" than usual and always wants be be inside my clothes, next to my skin. She and Banichi seem reconciled to the fact that I'm, once again, not at home with them. - But I miss them dreadfully! With no internet access at the red kids, I am not getting much done - and when I get home, the kits want my hands and attention focused on them (and I can't blame them!). I did read all of Catherine Coulter's lastest FBI thriller, Knock Out, yesterday. It was very, very good. - And, for some (completely unknown) reason, the musical theme from Misty of Chincoteague (the movie) keeps running through my head! I know when I headed for the bus this morning, with the temp at 58, and the humidity at 93%, it felt like I was on Chincoteague! ... More to come, as I can get to the internet!

No comments: