Monday, August 31, 2009

Broncos - Bears :-(

Please remind me not to ill-wish anyone or any team again - it seems to rebound on the team that I am rooting for. The Broncos fans at Invesco Field had a ball makings digs at Jay Cutler, while both Al Michaels and Chris Collingsworth (and several other folks interviewed) stated that they felt the new head coach had made a mistake in trading Jay Cutler to the Bears. The Broncos lost, 27 to 17, last night. The starting quarterback was Kyle Orton, who had been last years starting quarterback for the Bears. Kyle was actually doing pretty well - until a Bears defender crashed into his throwing hand as he tossed a pass. He left the field with his right index finger dripping blood (and, of course, that's the last finger on the ball as it's thrown, and gives the ball it's spin) and looking a bit bit floppy. The finger was dislocated and also required stitches. The Broncos' second-string quarterback was out with an ankle injury, so the 3rd-string QB (a rookie, just out of college) finished the second quarter and then played for the rest of the game.
The defense did well for a great part of the game - Cutler avoided throwing in Champ Bailey's vicinity; D J Williams made some tremendous tackles; and Elvis Dumervil is quickly becoming my favorite defensive player this year. During practice Friday, we lost wide receiver Gaffney to a broken thumb, and during last night's game we lost Chris Kuper (offensive line) to a broken ankle. So, even if I want an opposing player to be torn limb from limb, I guess I had better not make that statement - it seems to come back on the team I support.

I'm getting ready to go out and meet Joel, so we can walk Rosie and Remy together this morning. I'll add some photos to the blog when I return - and, hopefully, they'll be more interesting to the majority of my readers than my Broncos' lament, above. I have to admit that I am wearing jeans, not shorts, today, as it was 44 degrees outside with 100% humidity when I went walking earlier. I also managed to finally get the window back into place (during halftime), so that if I got cold last night, I could close the window. It stayed open and the kits and I cuddled. I really will have to go to the library... I'm out of books to read, even though I've got 4 on order. - And, Kathryn, the PO paid up, and I'll re-purchase and send Fire and Ice to you by tomorrow afternoon! (They admit they lost it!)

No comments: