Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cats, Dogs, and Bears

I had a wonderful chat with my friend Carolyn in Vero Beach yesterday... she and I have been friends since the first grade - we were the two horse-crazy girls that grew up together, and agreed we'd be little old ladies together, complete with cats. Well, we're headed in that direction, age-wise, and we both have cats. She and her hubby will be heading up to visit his family in Virginia, which is just a few miles away from the plantations in King George County where my husband's family is from. - Not only that, but his (Greg's) father was born in Hooker, OK, just like mine. Sometimes life is a little too scary with its' coincidences. The meteor shower was spectacular this morning! Walt and Sophie couldn't understand why I just wanted to go outside and sit - they wanted to walk and/or play - and once again the mosquito population drove me in. As soon as I finish this, and post some photos, I'll be heading out to walk the kids around the neighborhood - maybe we'll see Laura out with Steve and Indie... Tonight I'll be back home with Banichi and Lovey, and I'll have to see how long they stay "miffed" with me. But, then, I start taking care of Suki and Boo at Kathy and Jim's tomorrow, as they head down for the Pike's Peak Double near Colorado Springs. Then I am home for a couple of weeks, having only to walk the red kids (Rosie and Remy) weekday mornings. Ah..... contentment.

Bears are back in the news again. The folks who own and make "Wally Biscotti" left a couple of trays of a new product, containing blueberries, on their kitchen counter at home, under a window. The window was closed, and all doors locked, when the couple left for the afternoon. They returned to find the kitchen window broken, just a few crumbs of biscotti scattered about the kitchen, and lots of bear scat. The folks had been thinking of calling the new biscotti "The Blues Brothers", but I think they should re-name it "Blue-beary." (Their house is a couple of miles away from Kathy and Jim's house.) .... I must admit I laughed out loud yesterday evening at the TV; actually, at a sign that was posted under a former big-name's photo. You have to remember that when I was growing up, curse words were absolutely forbidden on TV - even words like "Heck" raised eyebrows. So I stopped short and laughed out loud, when I stepped back into the den and saw the descriptive label "Turdblossom" under this person on a news commentary show. I laughed so loud that it alerted the dogs and they came in, barking and raising heck, only to find me collapsed on the sofa, still giggling. ... I do have to remember that "the times, they are a'changin....!"

No comments: