Friday, August 7, 2009

Friday Miscellany

Well, I talked to my therapist for an hour yesterday, and cried three times. Then I went in to see my psychiatrist and only cried once. And it rained with thunder and lightning on my walk home from the bus stop and, of course, I hadn't taken my umbrella. Yesterday was soggy. It was a yucky day altogether, especially since I had a migraine in the morning. (I wonder if it was in sympathy for Allison? Nah. I don't think so, as it is still sitting on top of my head right now.) The kits were in heaven because they had an open door early yesterday morning, late in the morning, and then for four hours last night. Last night and this morning they were/are running about like little maniacs, chasing each other. At least I know that they are feeling OK. I'll be off to walk the red kids shortly, and then have nothing scheduled until seeing Ooch at about 8 this evening. I'll probably try to catch up on my Facebook requests, again, during the afternoon. At least I'll have internet access during my next 8 days of house-sitting!

Wednesday, at Ocean City, Maryland, a Mr. Farris brought in a 1,038 pound blue marlin (after a three-hour battle) to be at the top of the list for the annual White Marlin Tournament. ... At Del Mar racetrack, Zenyatta, last year's older racing Mare of the Year, will try to extend her winning streak to 12 in a row, when she runs in the Hirsch Stakes on Sunday. ... Here in Colorado, the entire western slope is under a red flag fire alert due to dry and windy conditions. The eastern plains are under thunderstorm warnings for the afternoon. ... And a 20-year-old college student was partying with her older sister here in Boulder on Wednesday night. The older sister put her younger sib to bed around 1:30 a.m., according to her statement to the police. The young lady somehow managed to fall through the window, taking the screen with her, for five stories before meeting the ground. She's in serious condition at the hospital. Her older sister says that the younger one only had "a couple of shots of tequila, two or three glasses of vodka lemonade, and several beers" - and that her sister was not intoxicated! (I would have been unable to walk or talk.) ... I am scheduled to go on a 5 mile hike with Grandma Anne Snow up at Caribou Ranch Saturday morning, followed by lunch at Kathmandu in Nederland (Anne's favorite restaurant). ... Finally, at a major intersection in North Boulder, where there is a lot of vehicular, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic, there is a lighted walkway for crossing the street. According to Colorado law, all vehicles must stop when the lights are flashing and the walkway is occupied. Yesterday, a 17-year-old boy was eating his lunch that he had picked up at a drive-thru window, while he was driving his car north. He struck three bicyclists at once - a mother, her 10 year old daughter, and 7 year old son. The bike riders were in the walkway, and the lights were flashing. Luckily, all three were wearing their helmets. Unluckily, the 7-year-old took the brunt of the hit and is in critical condition, having been air-lifted to Children's Hospital in Denver for special care for his head and back injuries. Officers on site stated that if he had not been wearing a helmet, the accident would have been a fatality.

No comments: