Monday, August 24, 2009

Archaeology and Migraines

I awoke with a rip-roaring migraine this morning - Lovey's normal vocalizations left me quivering like a jelly even though I put the pillow over my head. I got up, finally, and upon standing, discovered how nauseated I was.... Skipping the rest of the details, I notified the Rs Mom that I wouldn't be there to walk the kids this morning, and I went back to bed. I did, however, crack the patio door open, and the kits ate breakfast and went out as I settled back in bed. When I awoke the second time, both kits were curled up with me in bed. I still have a minor headache, but it is not an agonizing one like this morning. That's the reason this blog is being posted so late in the day. Currently, the patio door is, again, open, and the kits are napping just inside the door, having had a little pan-roasted turkey breast with me for brunch. It's in the mid-80s, and while it's not really hot, our humidity is increasing - it's up over 60%, which is scandalous in Colorado!

And I need to apologize to one of my favorite archaeologists - I left a letter off the end of Phil Harding's name in a previous blog. I really do enjoy The Time Team - and I was surprised to find that they are in their 16th broadcast season this year for Channel 4 of Great Britain. I have always enjoyed spokesman Tony Robinson - whether he's doing a Time Team presentation or portraying Baldrick in Black Adder with Rowan Atkinson. Tony always brings a spirit of zest with him - even when he has a tremendous cold. But Phil is my favorite - a Wiltshire man, born in 1951, and an excellent flint knapper - just because he does get down in his trenches and wallows in the dirt like a great big kid having a good time. He was introduced to digging when he was 8 years old, and the farm owner (where his Mum did the books) suggested he might be interested in the dig, which was on his property near Stonehenge. Phil decided then and there that he wanted to be an archaeologist - but he was working full time in a puppet factory when he finally got the call to work full time on a site. He plays the guitar and banjo and loves the blues - and he even got "caught up in today's capitalism" and owns shares in his local brewery. He works full time for Wessex Archaeology, does his work on The Time Team digs, and still gives flint knapping demonstrations whenever he can fit them into his schedule. My hat is off to a man who knew what he wanted, is doing it every day, and still has fun at work!!

No comments: