Sunday, August 23, 2009

Out of It - And Glad!

I admit I'm odd, and that I get a little more odd each and every day. It's nice to be different and not be at the beck and call of every new technology-linked gadget. My computer? Yes, I'd be lost without it at this late date - but I could always just spend more time at the library, looking up the answers to the odd questions that pop into my mind - Do cows sneeze? (What a mess it would be!) - Anyway, I was going through the check-out lane at the grocery store yesterday evening, and these two young college freshmen were having a loud discussion about "Kate and Jon"; they were so wrapped up in their talk, that I had to urge them forward, so they could pay the cashier. As they were picking up their bags, I asked the cashier (who knows me) who, exactly, were Kate and Jon - as soon as she said "reality series", I told her she didn't have to go any further. The freshmen were still standing at the end of the counter and loudly made the comment that I "just" wasn't "with it." Today's so-called reality TV shows are no more real than the soap operas in the afternoons, or Buck Rogers in the 21st Century - if being addicted to every regular's exact words is being "with it", I'm very glad that I am not! - And the night crew manager at the store asked me, this morning, if I could house-sit for his dog for the next 3 weeks (beginning Wednesday) while he is in China. I had to turn him down.

The kits and I spent yesterday playing and cuddling and snuggling and snacking. I got caught up on a lot of little things, so I can start doing genealogy research with a clear conscience. ... The mountain lion has been sighted every morning at dawn in the 19th Street/Riverside/Topaz residential area for the past week. A lot of folks are keeping their their critters inside after dark. ... Boo has not been spayed and is at the height of her heat cycle. She is making her mother crazy - first she presents her bottom, and when Suki does nothing about it, Boo goes and mounts Suki, making Suki snap, snarl, and be generally witchy. Boo will not leave Suki alone. ... Last night was the second pre-season game for the Broncos. Last week I grew a migraine during the first half and went to bed. Last night, I became terribly bored, and turned the game off at halftime. The Broncos only have two players that I like remaining on their team - Champ Bailey and Eddie Royal. I know that this is a re-building season, I know that there's a new head coach, I know that the team is learning a whole new offense, and I know that almost everyone on the defense is a new-comer to the team. The only problem is that the team as a whole is blaaand. ... The AP voted the Gators to number one in the college pre-season. Let's hope that doesn't put a hex on the team - it would be nice if they could be un-defeated! ... No more football for a while, I promise! ... The beaches from Virginia Beach, Virginia up to Massachusetts have been closed to swimmers thanks to the passage of Hurricane Bill. There are dangerous rip tides running due to the heavy weather off the coast. I just hope that there isn't a lot of beach erosion along the Eastern Shore!!

No comments: