Saturday, August 1, 2009

Rs and Ss

It rained last night for about 90 minutes. It started as I walked over to Kathy and Jim's to let the girls out for the last time before bed, and I was soaked by the time I got back to Rosie and Remy's. I pulled off my wet clothes and threw them into the washing machine, and then the dryer. At 5 this morning it was again 47 degrees outside, so I ran the dryer for a few minutes, and, let me tell you, my jeans were warm and felt terrific when I pulled them on! I walked the red kids over to Suki and Boo's, turned them loose in the back yard, and went in and fed the girls breakfast, letting them out into the backyard when they had finished eating. The girls spent yesterday afternoon at the R's; today, the R's will spend the afternoon at the girls'. Lovey and Banichi seem resigned to the fact that I'm only here for a few hours each morning with them - they both want love and affection when I'm here, and I love to give them what they want. They are the best kits!

Boo was excited to learn how to use the doggie-door at the R's yesterday - she spent 5 minutes just walking out and back inside... It was a novel experience for her. Suki figured out how the door worked, and then just curled up and snoozed. All the dogs were completely relaxed and there was no trouble, even though the girls were in the R's house and yard. It was nice to see. I'll be taking care of the girls until Monday afternoon, when Kathy and Jim return from Gunnison. I'll be at the R's until late Wednesday or early Thursday, then at home with the kits for 4 nights, and then away at two different houses for 4 nights each. Then I'll be home with the kits for another week or so (hoorah!). I now have client bookings until the New Year; then I'll be able to "relax" again... (Relax? What is that???) ... We had the coolest July on record this past month here in Colorado - and, while we did not break any records, it was one of the wettest Julys in the last 20 years. The creeks and rivers and irrigation ditches are still running at full spate - and at least once a week, some part of the state has been under a Flash Flood warning. It all seems pretty weird in this semi-arid climate. ... This afternoon, the West Virginia Derby will be run at Mountaineer Park; the track was sloppy this morning, but is expected to dry out by post time, which is 5:43 EDT. Fox Sports Network is showing the race live from 5 to 6 EDT. One of the entries is Mine That Bird, the Kentucky Derby winner - he was also invited to the Haskell Invitational, being run tomorrow, but his connections decided the WV Derby would better suit their colt. Mike Smith will be in Mine That Bird's saddle for this afternoon's race. ... And, of course, the Chincoteague ponies swam back to Assateague Island yesterday without any problems.

No comments: