Friday, August 21, 2009

Stuff and The Time Team

I had an wonderful, lazy day yesterday. After I blogged, I went back to bed. I slept until 12:45 in the afternoon, when a man called, insisted that I was Joe, and gave me his new phone number. I've never heard of the man before - neither Joe, nor the one who left the number. Then I wandered over to the grocery store and purchased celery, red grapes, peanut butter, and (surprise!) cat food. I returned home and read, ate a sandwich, and played with the kits as they ran in and out of the house. We all enjoyed a most relaxing day. During the up-coming week, I might skip blogging a few days, so don't be worried if there is no post.

My oven has finally been repaired and last night I made a blueberry pound cake. It's very good, even though I say so, myself. ... The bear that broke into the house in Aspen and helped itself to candy returned to the "scene of the crime" the following night and was killed by DoW. Apparently this was the fifth or sixth house that the bear ransacked over the past two weeks. ... Boulder County has its first confirmed case of West Nile virus. ... Animal Planet is returning the series "Jockeys" - this set of 14 half-hour shows will show the jocks competing for a ride in the Kentucky Derby (won by Mine That Bird). Jockeys include Mike Smith, Aaron Gryder, Corey Nakatami, Chantal Sutherland, and Garret Gomez. ... I fell in love with a grey Arab mare yesterday - she was offered for adoption thru a local rescue center -at a cost of $295.00. She's ridable, trained for both English and Western, and is just adorable. Three years ago she had to be carried onto the trailer that rescued her, due to starvation. If only, if only.......

And this past Wednesday night, I was thrilled to see The Time Team on PBS. I have been watching their shows on the International History channel since 2001 - and I was particularly impressed with a show they presented on the fossilized skeleton of a man found in the Cheddar Gorge caves which was over 9,000 years old, and they managed to trace and match his DNA with a school teacher there in Cheddar today. My favorite of the crew is archaeologist Phil Harbin - he has long hair, a florid face, and usually is covered with mud. Most of the time he wears jeans or overalls, or, as in the Jamestown segment, cut-offs and a felt hat with a feather in the browband. He is most definitely not a stuffy professor type - and he plays a mean guitar, too! It's due to their show that I still have such an interest in history. I hope that you were able to enjoy them - or can catch them on a re-run!!!

No comments: