Sunday, August 30, 2009

Vacation Day

Today is overcast and cool - it's 56 degrees outside with 93% humidity. I still wore my shorts and a T-shirt to walk and shop this morning - and received a lot of incredulous looks from people in sweats and jackets.... I was comfortable. But one could see that there was a lot more snow on the mountain peaks and slopes to the west. When I returned home, I opened the patio door for the kits to go out and play, then I became aware of this quiet "chit - chit - chittering" behind me. Gimpy was sitting on the back of my reading chair, looking at me at eye-level - I was out of peanuts, so he got a handful of raw sunflower seeds in peanut butter. ... Summer Bird, the winner of the Belmont, won yesterday's Travers Stakes (the "Midsummer Derby") at Saratoga by three-and-a-half lengths. And a study has been made at Del Mar racetrack, which shows that the poly-track in use there, does, indeed, cause more hind-leg injuries and breakdowns. Del Mar is planning to change it's racing surface.

Yesterday was a vacation day for me. I spent the majority of the day and evening on the atevi world, which was created ten books ago by C J Cherryh. Conspirator was an excellent addition to the series, and, as soon as I had finished reading it, I was ready to start the next, tentatively titled Deceiver. Other than breaks to love my kits, and a walk to and from a restaurant for lunch, I was totally involved with the atevi. Of course, having read this latest novel, I now want to read the entire series again, from start to finish. I finished reading Silks by Dick and Felix Francis on Friday, and that made me want to read all of my favorite Dick Francis books, again, too. ... Tonight I'll be watching the Broncos and the Bears game - hoping that the Broncos will squash the Bear quarterback, Jay Cutler. Cutler was the Bronco QB last year, and whined and demanded a trade when there was a head-coach change. Being mean, and, I suppose, vengeful, I want the defense to hammer Cutler for as long as he plays tonight. ... Monday morning I'll be walking the Rs early, with Joel. Joel has to take the kids in for evaluation at the Humane Society on Wednesday morning - so he'll walk them under my instruction on Monday morning; and then I'll walk them for 90 minutes Wednesday before they go in for their evaluation. Hopefully, this will help things all around...... Have a good Sunday, my friends!

No comments: